In this post you can find an overview about the work happened in the Firefox Automation team during week 9 and 10. I for myself was a week on vacation. A bit of relaxing before the work on the TPS test framework should get started.
In preparation to run Mozmill tests for Firefox Metro in our Mozmill-CI system, Andreea has started to get support for Metro builds and appropriate tests included.
With the help from Henrik we got Mozmill 2.0.6 released. It contains a helpful fix for waitForPageLoad(), which let you know about the page being loaded and its status in case of a failure. This might help us to nail down the intermittent failures when loading remote and even local pages. But the most important part of this release is indeed the support of mozcrash. Even that we cannot have a full support yet due to missing symbol files for daily builds on ftp.mozilla.org, we can at least show that a crash was happening during a testrun, and let the user know about the local minidump files.
For more granular updates of each individual team member please visit our weekly team etherpad for week 9 and week 10.
If you are interested in further details and discussions you might also want to have a look at the meeting agenda, the video recording, and notes from the Firefox Automation meetings of week 9 and week 10.
The current work load is still affecting my time for getting out our automation status reports. The current updates are a bit old but still worth to mention. So lets get them out.
As mentioned in my last report, we had issues with Mozmill on Windows while running our restart tests. So during a restart of Firefox, Mozmill wasn’t waiting long enough to detect that the old process is gone, so a new instance has been started immediately. Sadly that process failed with the profile already in use error. Reason here was a broken handling of process.poll() in mozprocess, which Henrik fixed in bug 947248. Thankfully no other Mozmill release was necessary. We only re-created our Mozmill environments for the new mozprocess version.
With the ongoing pressure of getting automated tests implemented for the Metro mode of Firefox, our Softvision automation team members were concentrating their work on adding new library modules, and enhancing already existent ones. Another big step here was the addition of the Metro support to our Mozmill dashboard by Andrei. With that we got new filter settings to only show results for Metro builds.
When Henrik noticed one morning that our Mozmill-CI staging instance was running out of disk space, he did some investigation and has seen that we were using the identical settings from production for the build retention policy. Without having more then 40GB disk space we were trying to keep the latest 100 builds for each job. This certainly wont work, so Cosmin worked on reducing the amount of builds to 5. Beside this we were also able to fix our l10n testrun for localized builds of Firefox Aurora.
Given that we stopped support for Mozmill 1.5 and continued with Mozmill 2.0 already a while ago, we totally missed to update our Mozmill tests documentation on MDN. Henrik was working on getting all of it up-to-date, so new community members wont struggle anymore.
For more granular updates of each individual team member please visit our weekly team etherpad for week 7 and week 8.
If you are interested in further details and discussions you might also want to have a look at the meeting agenda and notes from the Firefox Automation meetings of week 7 and week 8.
This is again an overview about the highlights of our work in week 47 and 48 this year. Sorry for the delay of a couple of days but some critical work was holding me off from writing this post.
Henrik and Dave were working on a couple of Mozmill-CI updates, which have been pushed to production. The first batch of features and bug fixes landed in week 47. It included the monitoring plugin for Jenkins, which hopefully will help us to figure out the reasons of Java crashes. Also we can finally run project branches via our CI now, even it can only be done manually as of now. It is important for our upcoming tests for the Holly branch (Firefox Nightly without the Australis feature). The second batch landed by last week was intended to upgrade our system to Mozmill 2.0.1. Sadly we failed in it due to a couple of other failures, which we haven’t seen before on our staging server. So we partly reverted back the latest commits for production and we all are working hard on getting those issues fixed.
With the detected failures by upgrading to Mozmill 2.0.1, Henrik has noticed that one of those existed because of an incompatibility of mozbase with Python 2.6. See bug 944361 for details. To solve this we upgraded our OS X 10.6 boxes to Python 2.7.3, so all machines are running the same version of Python now. As a very nice side-effect we noticed a speed improvement by running our Mozmill tests of about 25%!
Henrik pushed a couple of releases to pypi, which include mozprofile 0.17 with a lot of add-on manager related bug fixes, mozdownload 1.10 (see details), and mozmill 2.0.1 (see details)
To be prepared for executing the first Metro tests with Mozmill we had to prepare the mozmill-tests repository for handling multiple applications. Therefore Andreea refactored nearly the whole repository. You can find details on bug 927397.
For more granular updates of each individual team member please visit our weekly team etherpad for week 47 and week 48.
If you are interested in further details and discussions you might also want to have a look at the meeting agenda and notes from the last two Automation Development meetings of week 47 and week 48.